Name Change On A Kansas Drivers License
Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The state Division of Vehicles (DOV) recommends that you change the name on your Kansas drivers license as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.
Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DMV related services, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to the free forms and general instructions available from the DMV offices or websites, you will receive a comprehensive Easy Guide containing information relevant to your service needs. Where possible, we will prepare your DMV forms and/or provide links to DMV online services. Via our partners at Road America, you will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service. In addition, you will be able to take advantage of a free membership to DMV Advisors, a state-specific help desk prepared to answer any driver-related questions or concerns you may have. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.
2: by mail, if eligible (see instructions below)
Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DOV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DOV.
3: Via a local DOV office
If you prefer to access DOV services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DOV office location. Varying DOV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DOV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DOV allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in person visit is either preferred or required.
You should always keep your drivers license information up-to-date with the DOV. Having incorrect information on your license may result in fines or delays when dealing with the DOV or insurance companies.
If your legal name has changed, you will need update your drives license, as well as all other official documents like your Social Security card.
Applying For Kansas Drivers License Name Change
Here are the requirements for conducting a change of name on your Kansas drivers license:
- Must apply in person at the Kansas DOV office of the region where you reside
- Driver's license cannot be suspended, cancelled or revoked in Kansas or any other state
- Submit proof of full legal name
- Proof of legal presence in the US
- Proof of residence address if required
- Pay the applicable feees
- Must have photograph taken
Documents For Name Change On Kansas Drivers License
To save time when visiting your local DOV you may generate and download the required forms and checklist of required documentation.
Proof of Identity
- U.S. government issued birth document
- US consular report on birth abroad
- Valid U.S. passport or passport card
- A tribal ID card
- U.S. immigration documents
- U.S. naturalization documents
Proof of Residence
- U.S. passport or passport card
- A verbal statement from a person residing at the same resident address (this person must accompany the applicant)
- Kansas ID card not expired for over a year
- Kansas vehicle registration and title showing the current address
- Utility statement
- Any document issued by a financial institution that includes your current address
- Any item delivered by US postal service, FedEx or UPS by verifiable business or government agency
- U.S. government issued marriage certificate
Applicant should remember that only certified, original documents will be accepted as proof.
Changing your name on your CDL License, Title, And Registration
Upon changing your name on your drivers license, you will need to perform a change of name on you vehicle registration and title as well. You will need to do this within 30 days of legally changing your name.
All fees must be paid in cash.