How To Renew Your Kansas Drivers License
Need to renew your Kansas drivers license? We've collected helpful information that will save you some time, and we offer links to resources that will get you going in the right direction. Select from the options below to get started.
Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DOR related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Where possible, we will prepare your DOR forms and/or provide links to DOR online services. You will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.
Step 2: By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)
Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DOR in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DOR.
Step 3: Via a local DOR office
If your prefer to access DOR services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DOR office location. Varying DOR offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DOR allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in person visit is either preferred or required.
The state DOR will mail you a renewal reminder to the address on file up to two months before your license expires. You will need to visit a DOR office near you in order to renew your drivers license in Kansas. In case you do not receive the reminder, you should keep in mind when your license expires.
Kansas Drivers Licenses Renewal Reminder
A postcard renewal reminder is mailed almost two months before the driver's license renewal will need to take place. In case the driver does not receive the reminder, they have to note when to renew their Kansas drivers license before it expires.
Renewing Your Kansas Drivers License
To renew your Kansas drivers license, you must meet these qualifications:
- Apply in person
- Suspended, revoked or cancelled license cannot be renewed.
- Expired drivers licenses over one year cannot be renewed unless one has military exemption.
- Submit the completed drivers application. If required with medical tests/certificates
- Submit proof of legal full name/identity
- Submit proof of legal presence/citizenship in the US
- Social Security Number
- Proof of residence
- Surrender the Kansas drivers license that is about to expire
- Pay the renewal fees
- Have the photograph taken
Once all the renewal conditions have been met, a temporary drivers license card is issued. This card can be used until the receipt of the renewed Kansas drivers license is received by mail.
Documents For Kansas Drivers License Renewal
As part of the Kansas drivers license renewal, you will need to have certain documents to give to your local DOR such as:
Proof Of Identity:
- U.S. government issued birth document
- US consular report on birth abroad
- Valid US passport or passport card
- A tribal ID card
- U.S. immigration documents
- U.S. naturalization documents
Proof Of Residence:
- U.S. passport or passport card
- A verbal statement by a person residing at the same residence. They must also accompany applicant and present proof of residence address.
- Kansas ID card not expired for over a year
- Kansas vehicle registration and title showing the same address as which applicant resides now.
- Utility statement
- Any document issued by a financial institute that includes residence address
- Any item delivereed by US postal service, FedEx or UPS by verifiable business or government agency
- U.S. government issued marriage certificate
Out-Of-State Kansas Drivers License Renewal
In case the Kansas drivers license renewal applicant is out of town when their Kansas drivers license renewal is due and cannot perform the renewal in person, they may call the DOR at (503) 945-5400. You can renew your drivers license if it has not been expired for more than one year.
For a list of related services, see below: