Kansas Salvage Title

Do you need a salvage car title in Kansas? We've collected helpful information to assist you with everything you need to receive your car title in Kansas. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Services

Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DOR related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Where possible, we will prepare your DOR forms and/or provide links to DOR online services. You will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. In addition, you will be able to take advantage of a free membership to BMV Advisors, a state-specific help desk prepared to answer any driver-related questions or concerns you may have. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DOR in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DOR.

3: Via a local DOR office

If you prefer to access DOR services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DOR office location. Varying DOR offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DOR closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DOR allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in-person visit is either preferred or required.

Kansas Salvage Titles

In the state of Kansas, a vehicle is deemed a total loss by insurance companies if repairing or rebuilding the vehicle is 75 percent or more of its value. This will result in a Kansas salvage title being issued for the vehicle, and therefore cannot be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a KS Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways.

To learn more about Kansas Salvage Titles, read below:

Applying for a Kansas Salvage Certificate of Title

To apply for a salvage car title in Kansas, you'll need to go to your local Kansas County Treasurer's branch if you plan on selling the vehicle. You can bring with you or fill out at their office, a completed and signed Application for Certificate of Salvage Title, sales receipt, driver's license, along with the Certificate of Title, Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Exemption form.

Kansas Salvage Repairable/Non-Repairable Titles

A Salvage Non-highway or Non-repairable Vehicle Title Affidavit (Form TR-13) must accompany all applications for salvage titles.

Kansas Salvage Rebuilt Titles

Prior to completing an application for a Kansas Salvage Rebuilt Certificate of Title, vehicles that are titled as salvage have to have a VIN verification completed by Kansas Highway Patrol. A completed MVE-1 form has to be turned in with your Salvage Rebuilt Title Application. If you have had your salvage vehicle rebuilt or restored to roadworthy condition , you must present to your local County Treasurer's office the following when applying for a KS Salvage Vehicle Title:

  • Completed MVE-1
  • Salvage title in your name or properly assigned to you
  • Proof of insurance.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Kansas

An abandoned vehicle title in Kansas can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it in Kansas, you'll have to first report the abandoned vehicle to local Kansas law authorities, then fill out an Abandoned Vehicle Report.

Your next step is to publish a notice in the newspaper that an abandoned vehicle was found, including its location. You must ask for a Publication Certificate after doing so. A notice is printed to give the prior owner a chance to claim the vehicle. Next fill out a KS Application for Title and/or Registration form and mail that along with the publication certificate, and the appropriate fees. You will receive a new title and registration through the mail.